If you love to eat seafood and care about the impact of your choices on the environment, we're here to help! At MOM's Organic Market, we are committed to providing healthy seafood options that are caught or farmed in ways that preserve the future of the species and protect the surrounding environment. Our buyers follow a purchasing policy for sustainable seafood that is based on “Best Choice” recommendations from Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch. That means you can shop with confidence, knowing each and every seafood product meets MOM's standards for sustainability.
Pick up a Seafood Watch Pocket Guide and look for these “Best Choice” sustainable seafood products next time you visit MOM's.
- Artic Char
- Striped Bass (U.S. farmed)
- Catfish (U.S. farmed)
- Pacific Halibut
- Salmon (Alaska wild)
- Pacific Sardines (canned)
- Bay Scallops (farmed)
- Oregon Pink Shrimp (wild-caught)
- Rainbow Trout (U.S. farmed)
- Albacore Tuna (North Pacific pole and troll caught)
- Skipjack Tuna (pole and troll caught)
Did you know that seafood is seasonal, just like fruits and vegetables? It's true. Many varities of wild fish and shellfish are only caught for a few weeks or months out of every year. By selling flash-frozen, individually wrapped fish portions instead of installing a fresh seafood counter, MOM's can offer sustainably sourced, wild-caught fish and shellfish year round. Many species are frozen right on the boat, within hours of being caught. Simply thaw overnight in the fridge, and serve healthy seafood at the peak of freshness year 'round.
Since 2008, MOM's has been committed to selling only sustainable seafood. Since cleaning up our shelves and eliminating non-sustainable fish and shellfish species, we've found that our seafood selection must continually evolve. As the world's leading authorities on sustainable seafood collect data, complete scientific studies and release assessments, we modify our product selection accordingly. A major change came recently, when Seafood Watch published a lower ranking on Pollock, which had previously been considered a Best Choice. Alaskan Pollock is a key ingredient in popular brands of fish nuggets, fillets and fish sticks.
What you will NOT find at MOM's:
- Farmed Salmon
- Imported Tilapia
- Imported Shrimp (wild or farmed)
- Caviar (Sturgeon)
- Crab: Blue, King or Snow
- Greenpeace Red List species, including Atlantic Halibut, Atlantic Cod, Atlantic Salmon, Atlantic Sea Scallops, Bigeye Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Chilean Sea Bass, Orange Roughy, Pollock, Red Snapper, Swordfish, Tropical Shrimp, Yellowfin Tuna. See the full list at http://www.greenpeace.org.